Thursday, May 1, 2014

Bajra Idli

"Necessity is the mother of invention"...how true!!!

One Friday night, while I was planning to soak rice for idli, I found out much to my dislike that I was falling short of idli rice and was angry that I would not be able to finish off the task the next day morning.

I searched my kitchen cabinets and found a pack of bajra a.k.a Pearl millet lying unattended. My mother is fond of millets and stocks up my kitchen with various ones whenever she visits us here.

I soaked rice and bajra together at night and got up the next morning to prepare a fresh batch of idli batter

Ingredients:

Bajra - 2cups
Idli rice - 3 cups
Urad dal(round) - 1 and 1/4 cup
Methi seeds - 1tbsp

Preparation:
Wash well and soak bajra and rice together for atleast 6 hours. Before starting the grinding process, wash and soak methi seeds and ural dal together in clean water for 30 minutes-1 hour.

First grind, urad dal and methi seeds along with the water in which it was soaking, until they turn fluffy. Add water little by little and grind well. Transfer this to a tall vessel. Next strain water from rice-bajra and put it in grinder with enough salt and little water. Add water little by little. Grinding this may take approximately 30 minutes. It should be ground well to a fine batter. Add the urad dal to the same grinder and quickly mix it. Transfer this to a tall vessel with enough room to accommodate the batter after fermentation. If you do not have a tall vessel, then use multiple small vessels to store the batter. Depending on the weather, fermentation might take 6-10 hours. Store it in fridge as soon as the batter rises.

Make idli in idli moulds the usual way. You can also refer my idli batter post here for more details.



No comments: